Author Topic: CNC and Google Sketchup  (Read 4243 times)

travis77

• View Profile
CNC and Google Sketchup
« on: August 15, 2009, 11:18:12 PM »
Im not new to cad programs having used Inventor, Solid Works and AutoCAD. But for the life of me, using whatever lame defualt settings come on Sketch Up, I just could not do anything on this program. Until i stumbled upon the toolbars list! Maybe Im just an idiot when it comes to google Sketch Up; it almost looks too simple.

My one question that I have not figured out yet is: How do you edit the dimension of a feature. Say if I dimension a line and it says 12 inches, how do I make it 6"? I swear I tried all the obvious options and have had no luck.

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Google Sketch Up
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 05:34:58 AM »
Hello Travis,

What you normally want to do to edit the length of something is to use the "Move Tool" and just click on the end of the line you're editing and make it longer or shorter. You can select multiple lines as well.

Also, a neat plugin is the "Driving Dimensions" plugin. Here is the link. http://drivingdimensions.com/SketchUp/tutorials.php It's free.

If you ever need a feature that doesn't seem to exist in Sketchup, try searching for a plugin because there is a good chance that someone has written one to do the job.

Take Care
Gabriel
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:36:50 AM by Gabriel »

travis77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 09:58:42 AM »
Thanks, I checked it out and have been messing around with it.

Looking through the projects using Sketch Up posted on this site, he said he opened STL files with CamBam. I figured out how to export the Sketch Up files to STL and also CamBam files, but I cant figure out how to open the STL files in CamBam. Any ideas to what Im doing wrong?

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »
Are you using CamBam Plus? I don't think you can open them with the free version of CamBam, and, even if you could, there aren't any options for 3D toolpaths.

I see that I forgot to specify CamBam Plus on one of the pages. I will have to edit that. Sorry, that's my fault.

By the way, the site these forums attach to is mine, so "he" in this case is me. My psychiatrist says that I should avoid referring to myself in the third person. ;)

What is it exactly that you are trying to make anyway? STL files are only required if you want to make something that is in 3D. If you only need 2.5D, you can get by with this plugin http://www.cerebralmeltdown.com/cncstuff/page2/cambam_export/default.htm

travis77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:32:05 PM »
Are you using CamBam Plus? I don't think you can open them with the free version of CamBam, and, even if you could, there aren't any options for 3D toolpaths.

No Im not using CamBam Plus, only the free version for now.

By the way, the site these forums attach to is mine, so "he" in this case is me. My psychiatrist says that I should avoid referring to myself in the third person. ;)

I was figuring, but wasn't completely sure. Nice to meet you, Im Travis :)

What is it exactly that you are trying to make anyway? STL files are only required if you want to make something that is in 3D. If you only need 2.5D, you can get by with this plugin http://www.cerebralmeltdown.com/cncstuff/page2/cambam_export/default.htm

I do already have that plugin installed and have used it successfully! I was just trying to figure out the STL plugin...

In regards to what im trying to make, I wish I could disclose the subject matter... Naw Im actually building my own mini desktop CNC! And Im trying to piece everything together, getting the software and the motor driver is the last bit I have to do. Ill post up my build in the CNC build section with some pictures.

Im just not quite sure about the differences between the file formats (ie STL, DXF, ...) but Im starting to learn. Today I made a part in Sketch Up, Exported to CamBam, Made the tool paths and exported the G-Code, which I then ran on EMC2's simulator since I dont have my machine hooked up yet.

For now, the software Im using is Sketch Up for the CAD, CamBam for the CAM, and EMC2 on Ubuntu (Linux) for the CNC control software. Its been a lot of work over the past two weeks! I have a month before I have to go back to school, so Im hoping to be cutting out some pieces by then...

By the way, I like your website. Ive had ideas about almost exactly the same setup you have before I stumbled across yours and one day would like to make my own build log.

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 06:48:22 AM »
Nice to meet you too Travis :)

Sounds like you have everything well set up as far as software is concerned. That is actually the hard part. Building the CNC itself is far less time consuming if you ask me.

You're lucky that you still have another month. School starts for me next week, aaahhhhhh.

It would be awesome if you started your own website. It's a lot of work at first, but, once it's up and running, it's a lot of fun.