Author Topic: EMC2 and Ubuntu  (Read 2432 times)

travis77

• View Profile
EMC2 and Ubuntu
« on: August 17, 2009, 06:42:29 PM »
Hey on your page about setting up EMC2 to run your sun tracking program, did you know about the Wubi installer for Ubuntu? I installed EMC2 after I did Ubuntu instead of the Ubuntu/EMC2 Live CD, but I'd assume Wubi would be on that Live CD as well. Wubi is an installer for windows that will install Ubuntu from within Windows. Ubuntu shows up as an application like if you were to go through control pannel > add/remove programs. So it eliminates the need to have a second hard drive or multiple partitions.... Thus you can save your current XP or Vista OS. You just pop the Live CD in while in Windows and it installs. Ill link you if you're curious about it..

Wubi: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

By the way, how would I format the link to where it showed only the underlined text "Wubi" and had the link when you clicked on it? If that makes sense, to make it look more clean.

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EMC2 and Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 06:50:51 PM »
That looks pretty nifty. It seems less nerve racking than starting over from scratch.

The ruby sun tracking program has evolved into to the "Sun Tracker" program which basically has the machine controller built into it, so EMC2 is no longer needed. Someone might still have a use for it though, so I leave it up, at least for now.

Hmm... I guess I don't know how to format the link to just show underlined text. I've never tried before. Don't let the fact that I'm the administrator fool you, I have no clue what I'm doing.  ;D Well OK, I have some idea, but the smf forums here are essentially just plug and play. I didn't have to know much to install them on my site.  ;)