Author Topic: Arduino build process  (Read 3403 times)

GeorgeC

• View Profile
Arduino build process
« on: July 19, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »
Hello world!
I just got my arduino board and I downloaded the files Arduino_SunTracker_V094 (6x .pde), (needless to say I'm new at this arduino-world) and I do not know how to compile! After a lot of trial and mostly error, I am at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong, . if theres a tutorial out there, id like to check it out. I want to see how they use multiple sketch work together.
any help would be appreciated! ???

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Arduino build process
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:46:38 PM »
Hi GeorgeC,

You have likely already gone through this, but just in case you haven't, here is the "Getting Started" link. http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows If you are able to upload the blink sketch alright, then it really is just a problem with having multiple files.

I had thought I had mentioned this earlier in the documentation, but it looks like I forgot to do it. Anyway, to start you need to make sure you have all of the files (Arduino_SunTracker_VXX, Functions, MoveMachine, ShiftRegisterCode, TargetControl) in the same folder named Arduino_SunTracker_VXX.

When you click on any one of these sketches, all of them should open at once and you should see tabs for each one like you do when surfing multiple pages in a web browser.

There was one instance where I had a multi-sketch program not open like it should have. The way I ended up fixing it was to click on each file and close the IDE right after it opened. Each time I opened and closed the IDE in this manner another tab showed up. It's rather odd, but it worked.

If you are already seeing all of the tabs like you should and it still isn't uploading, then something else is wrong. It really should be as easy as just clicking the upload button.

Let me know if you get it working or not because there is one other thing I might be able to try.

Also, what OS and Arduino board are you using?

GeorgeC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:26:43 AM »
Hi Gabriel, thanks for your prompt response, (on my boards with atmega1280 and  Duemilanove with Atmega 328 I'm able to upload the blink sketch alright)
I have the files in the same folder named Arduino_SunTracker_V094
Arduino_SunTracker_V094.pde
Functions.pde
MoveMachine.pde
RTC_Code.pde
ShiftRegisterCode.pde
TargetControl.pde

I'm still pretty much a freshman user ( hoping it will work, without fully understanding what I'm doing ) , so if the answer is obvious, I'll be pleased to learn.
any suggestions would be super helpful.
thanks in advance!

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:26:39 AM »
Oh it looks like you never installed the Flash.h library. This library isn't included with the original Arduino IDE download, so you have to install it yourself.

The download link is here. http://arduiniana.org/libraries/Flash/

And here is also a link which explains where to put the file. http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Libraries

Judging by your error messages, this should be the fix for your problem.

Good Luck!
Gabriel

GeorgeC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 04:55:33 AM »
 :) thank you very much  Gabriel  :), sorry for these obvious questions   ::)