Author Topic: Heliostats for solar cells power boost  (Read 1704 times)

heliostatfanatic

• View Profile
Heliostats for solar cells power boost
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »
i had been playing around with fiber optic cables to make a homemade light pipe, for those who dont know, a lightpipe collects concentrated solar light and channels it down a fiber optic cable to inside a building where it then strikes a diffuser and lights up whatever/the room. Anyway one problem was the long wave infrared part of light causes heating of objects it strikes( normally the useful part of solar energy devices) but it can melt the fiber at the junction , so they over come that with a filter material..well then i found a company that sells window films that block the infrared for people who want a well lit but not hot sun rooms..perhaps a way to use a heliostat on solar cells would be to block the infrared with a film coupled with a heatsink and possibly increasing the cell production many fold based on the number of heliostats targeting them.?..not to mention using the heliostats to target the lightpipe collectors.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:13:16 PM by heliostatfanatic »

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Heliostats for solar cells power boost
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:00:40 PM »
Do you have a link to the film? That's something I've been interested in finding, but I have never gotten around to looking for it.

I've never tried experimenting with increasing the output of solar cells, but one idea I had was to say "bring the greenhouse into the house" using a heliostat to just shine the sunlight through a conventional window. One potential problem though (other than cloudy days) is overheating. It sounds like this film would help with that.