Author Topic: Heat collection  (Read 1871 times)

billduck

• View Profile
Heat collection
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:53:43 AM »
Of the experimenters with heliostats, I wondered what the end users are going to do with the re-directed solar energy. Direct it through a window for extra heat gain? Steam turbine?
Thanks in advance.

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Heat collection
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:16:11 AM »
The most I have done so far with mine is mostly to just use it for lighting and some extra heat gain in the winter. I have more plans for it in the future, but, for now, I have mostly just been working to get the software up and running. Long term goal is to use it to help with solar heating on a 100% solar powered house.

Paul L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:11:13 PM »
WHEN I get mine to work, I'd like to used several mirrors to concentrate sun on a small solar air heater for space heating.  I'm also tinkering with phase change salts to use in conjunction with the heliostat to retain and slowly release the extra heat it should generate. 

samd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »
Thump it into a small rock wall inside a clear case, and pull the heat out f it into the house at night:
http://www.tensar.co.uk/Systems-Products/Tensartech-Systems/Tensartech-RockWall

samd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 04:18:13 PM »
Or direct it at a solar chimney to pull cold air out of earth tubes in the ground and into my house. Solar air conditioner...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_chimney

Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 06:23:38 AM »
I want to try out low concentration PV with passive cooling but ultimately I think something that captures heat in salts and uses a kind of stirling conversion is the best design direction.

That said, a heliostat is a very generic tool.  It makes a lot of sense to use it for home light/heat or water heating or whatever.  Also if you have solar panels installed already, you could shine extra light on your panels during times when the solar cells weren't operating at maximum output.  You'd need some logic to redirect the stat if the panels got too hot but that seems pretty doable.

But mine doesn't work yet, so, grain of salt and all that.