Author Topic: CNC Use Ideas  (Read 6539 times)

Jon

• View Profile
    • YouTube
CNC Use Ideas
« on: August 21, 2009, 11:52:08 PM »
I seen some people considering using a CNC router to make circuit boards.  Possibly, another similar use for this type of setup is to route out "engravings" (even if just 1/16 inch deep) such as artworks (that can be inked/colored) and even lettering (reversed of course - made easy with computer software) to make prints on paper.  I'm not sure what material would be best for this in terms of cost and "splintering"/milling defects, wood or plastics, and would it be best to have the letters "raise" or "recessed".   Some ideas to think about.

BackyardWorkshop

• View Profile
    • Backyard Workshop
Re: CNC Use Ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:41:14 AM »
Hey Jon!

Yeah I've seen a bunch of people making circuit boards too and I'm planning on making a few myself (need a few more stepper controllers) :)

SO you're talking like making a stamp? that's a cool idea!

I've made a few templates for spray painting stuff - like stencils

Jamie
Check out my CNC projects (and more) at http://www.backyardworkshop.com

travis77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:53:30 PM »
In terms of what type of material would be best I would say depends on what the lettering is for. Is there anything specific you are looking to make letters of? If you want to make plaques, wood is probably the easiest. If you want to engrave little name tags, you could engrave on some thin aluminum sheet rectangles or whatever. It all just comes down to the purpose of the piece you are creating.

Jon

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  When I wrote that, in my mind was about "inking" the routed print to make other prints.  Rubber stamps are good, especeially when its the "inking plate" too, but fine lettering is perhaps more difficult with rubber than with other materials.  I'm working on this and that, but CNC is not so much my forte (sp) and the "stamp" micro-controlers are really neat, good for other things too, I think people making certain heliostats use them for programmed timing; when the motors should turn on and off rather than use a full-fledge pc sized computer.

pie_row

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:05:44 PM »
When I read your post I read the engraved printing plate quite clearly.  The possibility of doing something that locks like calligraphy is really interesting.  Art prints are a thought as well. If you are machining lead then raised letters would be good. Steel would be a different story.  That would probably be best done by cutting away metal.

Jon

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 02:25:48 PM »
Machined lead is probably good to make letters and shapes/designs.  Perhaps thats what they did in Ben Franklin's time.  Another idea is to machine out molds or patterns for molds , for the lead.  I guess CNC has some uses I didnt think of.

pie_row

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »
Cutting out sheet metal using a scribe.  How you cut sheet Aluminum is you scratch the surface and then it will crack along the scribed line.  So with a CNC machine you put in a diamond point scribe and trace the outline for what you want and then brake out the part along the line.  From what I've read that works good up to about 0.040? then you need to actually remove some metal.

So the V cut engraving bits and mill it like a PC board.  That is for thicker stuff.

gocnc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »
Hi pie_row
Thanks for that info I would never have thought about that

Jon

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
Here is a nice video I found about designing wooden gears, maby has some use for CNC related ideas:

Gear template generator feature tour

I guess all this can be applied to metal gears, etc.  The problem with metal is cost and difficulty if you want to either make some material to work with or have the tools to work with it.   Wood has been available, and reasonably cheap for centuries, it is the "plastic building material of the ages" that man could construct things relatively easy with.  Now with modern glues and tools, woodworking still has great potential and should not be discounted.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:28:13 PM by Jon »

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 06:54:30 AM »
Wow that's really cool. I've seen the free html version of the program before at http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html but never realized that there was one that you could download and buy. It looks like the commercial version has a lot more useful features.

In particular, the program's website says that you can export DXF files, which means that it should be pretty easy to open the file in CamBam and generate the G-code for a CNC machine.

Nice find Jon.