Author Topic: For Sun Tracker / Heliostat  (Read 1356 times)

freespeech

• View Profile
For Sun Tracker / Heliostat
« on: August 25, 2012, 09:11:12 AM »
How about a once off positioning switch / button that uses two light sensing diodes to position the tracker exactly facing the sun.
This would be a one off thing much like using the joystick to position the system and then it tracks automatically….

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: For Sun Tracker / Heliostat
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »
Having that option would be nice, but it would be very hard to implement, at least if you wanted to track the sun accurately. I can maybe think of a way to do it with just light sensors, but it would take many many hours of coding to get it to work, and I'm still not sure if it would really be practical. I don't think there would be enough space on the typical Arduino regardless.

I know you mentioned that you wanted to put this on a Caravan. Is there any way that you could just design the tracking machine so that you could easily rotate it to face the sun and then just let the machine track like normal?

freespeech

• View Profile
Re: For Sun Tracker / Heliostat
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 03:04:51 AM »
Having that option would be nice, but it would be very hard to implement, at least if you wanted to track the sun accurately. I can maybe think of a way to do it with just light sensors, but it would take many many hours of coding to get it to work, and I'm still not sure if it would really be practical. I don't think there would be enough space on the typical Arduino regardless.

I know you mentioned that you wanted to put this on a Caravan. Is there any way that you could just design the tracking machine so that you could easily rotate it to face the sun and then just let the machine track like normal?

Yes I have come to the conclusion that turning it to the sun is the best option.
However would I need to enter GPS coordinates ?
I think I would, which is why the built in GPS I was thinking of should be so good, I think if the GPS used that GPS sketch you mentioned which I downloaded we could include it in the include section of the main sketch and it should be fairly simple.
Then turning it simply to the sun should do the trick…
What do you think ?