I'm impressed that you did that in 40 minutes. It definitely would have taken me a lot longer.
I'm having trouble though with the azimuth tracking - I haven't put anything together yet because from what I can tell just by looking at drawings, the patent design just wouldn't work.
That's actually what I was referring to in my previous post. It's not
rotating along the azimuth, so if you try to use the current Arduino Sun Harvester Program, V097_e, it won't have any hope at all of tracking correctly.
I think I have the math for it figured out though, and it wouldn't be hard to try it out.
If anybody is interested in trying it,
Go to the "functions" tab and find the function named "FindHeliostatAltAndAz".
Inside the function, find this code
and replace it with this code.
machinealt = 90 + (-atan2(y,z)*(180/pi));//actually pitch
machineaz = asin(x)*(180/pi);//actually roll
That should, I think, make the program work with "pitch and roll" type heliostats.
Keep in mind that this is just a quick hack of the program, so a lot of things will be mislabeled since they shouldn't really be called "azimuth" or "altitude" any more.
The first heliostat I ever built was a "pitch and roll" type heliostat. I was absolutely clueless of that fact though until I just recently started experimenting with different heliostat designs.
I built both of these heliostats, and neither one worked. I double checked everything in what was then a PC based program, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong.http://www.cerebralmeltdown.com/projects/heliostat_num1/default.htmhttp://www.cerebralmeltdown.com/heliostatprojects/heliostat_num2/default.htm
Then I built this heliostat, and it magically started working.http://www.cerebralmeltdown.com/heliostatprojects/heliostat_num3/default.htm
All of these years, and I finally realized what was wrong!
Now that I look at the design, it doesn't look half bad. The Pros are that the weight is equally balanced, so you wouldn't need very large stepper motors, and that you essentially have an "unlimited" range of motion. The Cons are that you have to figure out new dimensions for different sized mirrors and also that it would be a little trickier to set up correctly since you have to deal with two "posts" to hold it in place.
Now that those Sun Harvester Shields are in the hands of a little more than half a dozen people, hopefully we'll start seeing more and more designs popping up.