Author Topic: 40N 006W. A spanish heliostat  (Read 3040 times)

Josema

• View Profile
40N 006W. A spanish heliostat
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »
Hello everyone! Hola a todos!
My name is Josema and I'm from Spain.
After several weeks of searching for information and some Do It Yourself, I finished my heliostat / Sun tracker.
It moves a 20w solar panel or a mirror 35x50cm sized. (I'm currently testing both configurations)
I used two car window motors, whose DC motors I replaced by stepper motors. They have a worm gear with a 70:1 reducing ratio. If we consider that the stepper motor coupled to its axis have 200 steps, we get 14000 steps per 360 to rotate the heliostat in azimuth, also in elevation. This is a theoretical resolution of 0.025 degrees per step. Not bad!

The movement is amazing and accurate.
I added a RC transmitter joystick to adjust the mirror position to the chosen target without a computer.
All electronics are powered by a 12V battery.

You can see more pictures in this link (spanish language):
http://puspis.blogspot.com.es/2013/07/siguiendo-el-sol-o-como-meter-un.html

And this video on Youtube, where you can see how it changes from heliostat to solar tracker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkmI0UgYbzk

Thanks to Gabriel Miller for their great work and thanks to Google Translator for helping me to translate this text.  ;)

Best regards from Spain. Josema
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:34:21 AM by Josema »

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 40N 006W. A spanish heliostat
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »
Hola Josema!

This is actually one of the nicest builds I've seen. I really like how those windshield wiper motors worked out. I might need to scavenge a pair myself.

I guess you are technically done, but if you do more with it let us know!

By the way, would you care if I added your machine under the "Other People's Projects" on the main project page? I have been meaning to add more under that section.

Gabriel

Josema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »
Hi Gabriel. Of course, you can share my project. It's a honour for me!
The motors aren't wiper motors, they are power window motors. However I think it's possible to use both types of motors based in worm gears.
Mine is like this.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/dpi_sp_images/products/100512/1605836.jpg

Saludos, Josema
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:29:20 PM by Josema »

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
Oh those are cool. I thought they looked a little different from the windshield wiper motors I had taken out of some old cars before. It seems like those would be great for hacking.

I will hopefully be about to post about your site sometime within the next week.

Thanks!