Author Topic: system requirements for CNC  (Read 4312 times)

pie_row

• View Profile
system requirements for CNC
« on: September 26, 2009, 04:13:33 PM »
I'm looking at doing layered casting of wax followed by machining of wax.  I want to do stuff with a 3 Axis mill that you can't do with a 5 axis unit.  Do it in wax then cast it lost wax.

So the question what kind of system do I need to run the soft wear to do this. 

I'm looking at casting 10 layers/in.  This still may require hand reworking the wax before casting but it should cut it down.  There is a limit to how far of an overhang you can machine with a 3 axis mill.

gocnc

• View Profile
Re: system requirments
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 11:54:32 AM »
Hi pie_row
I dont know what kind of a system you need but i was wondering if you wanted to make stuff like these things
http://www.3dcutting.com/products-frogscan.php
So what you want to do is use a 3 axis mill and do the job of what a 5 axis mill will do.

Because I have a question about what you see in that web site.
Are they using 3 axis or 5 axis
Also if anyone has any information about their machine
Can I do what they do with 3 axis machine is my question

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
To pie_row

The computer that I run my CNC with has a 2.4GHZ Celeron processor with 1.5G of ram. It seems to be more than enough for running Mach3.

This computer is not, however, the one that I use when creating CAD models. The one that I use for CAD has a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor at 2.80GHz and 3.5G of ram. This is just what I personally own and doesn't necessary represent the perfect system for CAD design, but it does the job just fine.

If I understand correctly, it sounds like what you want to do involves a lot of 3D modeling. 3D work generally takes a lot of processing power, so a faster computer is definitely nice to have. I know that there are some 3D designs that I have made which took 5-10 minutes just to generate the toolpaths for the g-code.

To gocnc

You can do most everything on that site with a 3-axis CNC machine. Of course, I don't know exactly what you are trying to do, so I probably shouldn't recommend anything. What you can try is to look up 4 and 5 axis CNC machines on youtube and see whether or not what they are doing is something that you absolutely need for your projects.

If you are just interested in basic 3D work (making signs for example) then a 3-axis CNC machine should do fine.

pie_row

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 03:02:54 PM »
http://www.3dcutting.com/products-frogmill4axis.php

To answer your question yes it looks like you can do what they are doing.  Reading between the lines they are cutting and machining layers at a time.  The amount of over hang that you can cut with a 3 axis mill is the difference between the large diameter of a ball burr and the shank.  It looks like their machine is a high-Q CNC router.

I'm looking at how to make some complex and twisted tubes cast inside of a more or less solid block.  The shapes that I want to cast can be made with a 3D printer, (it can't be made with a 5 axis mill).  Also with a bunch of cores each piece will have 20 of them or more so I don't really want to do that many cores.  So I'm thinking that doing it in layers will let me do it easy.

Gabriel, thank for the info.  I am looking at running complex 3D modeling.  I'm looking at casting engine heads with lost wax.

gocnc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 05:13:17 PM »

Hi Gabriel

Thanks for your reply
Take a look at this
How does it work
It looks like the mill is 3 axis and the wood is chaging angles
So is it 5 axis milling and how do you program this
5 axis cnc routed Pineapple file
5 axis cnc routed Pineapple file

gocnc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:18:31 AM »
I was going to start a new thread but I thought it would be better to continue with what we have here
Lets say I want to make what you see in picture in the size of about 6 feet high
I thought about using foam of some sort.
Then coating it with plaster and then sanding it and then applying some tough material for the surface
to make it look like the real statue of liberty ,If anyone has ideas for the finishing I would like to hear from them

Back to the cnc busines
Would it be a good idea to make the 3D drawing in layers like I have made in the picture.
Then mill each layer one by one in a 3 axis milling machine.
Then glue the layers toghether and by hand give it the shape of the statue.
I would appreciate hearing your ideas
I have never tried this and I dont even have a cnc milling machine
Hopefullly I will make one.
Thanks

gocnc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:20:08 AM »
I dont know hwy the picture is not there
http://img246.imageshack.us/i/statueofleberty.jpg/

pie_row

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 11:02:23 AM »
That is the approximate proses that I'm talking about doing for myself.  The hard durable outer finish for the statue is easy just copper plate it.  ;D  Then to capture the feel of the original you'll need to use different patinas to make a square patchwork like the full sized on has.  Oh ya and you can gold plat the flame.

Machining thin slices one by one and then gluing them together.  If you are going to use Styrofoam then a good glue is just latex paint.

gocnc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 12:23:46 PM »
Hi pie_row
Thanks for your reply
Works with slices is something I never knew about it is really a good idea.

For the copper plating of the 6 feet statue
Would I apply it with a brush
its not like a small pieace of object that you can dip in a solution

pie_row

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 10:50:31 AM »
I'm thinking that a more than 6' deep tank wouldn't be that hard to build.  (You can't as far as I know brush on electroplate.)  Pumps and stuff, lots of chemicals. 

Thin shell bronze casting is another way to do it but the learning curve in long and deep.