Author Topic: steam engine from pneumatic cylinders.  (Read 1186 times)

trevorb

• View Profile
steam engine from pneumatic cylinders.
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »
I have struggled with homebrew solar heat collection.  It is a royal pain to collect the heat and augment your hot water in the house.  It gets harder when you want to use your harvested photons to do something other than get something very hot.  Steam turbine or steam motor seems like it would be viable for home power.  I have thought of trying to create a steam motor with pneumatic pistons.  the motor would have a crankshaft and the pneumatic pistons would be coupled to it.  steam would both extend and retract the piston based on its rotation position.  typical four way pneumatic valving would be used to control the valves.  the exhausted condensed water could then be used to augment the hot water in a home.  The motor would drive a pto type of electrical generator that could be purchased from harbor freight.com

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: steam engine from pneumatic cylinders.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
I want to try something like this too at some point. I have been reading about absorption chillers recently. My new word of the month that I stumbled across is trigeneration. Basically, you get heating, cooling, and power generation all as part of a single process.

So the absorption chiller uses the sun's heat to say freeze water. Naturally, this process causes it to get very hot at the "exhaust" side. Here you place your motor that runs off of heat (i.e. steam engine / stirling engine). These things also have an "exhaust" which transferred to somewhere that needs heating.

Now if you thought that it was a pain to try can augment your house's hot water, just wait until you try this. :) Definitely a crazy idea to try in your backyard.

trevorb

• View Profile
Re: steam engine from pneumatic cylinders.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
wow this is really interesting - the water spray absorption refrigeration cycle is very interesting.  Very interesting.  Trigeneration who would have thought?