Author Topic: Hello from the UK  (Read 1106 times)

Simon

• View Profile
    • My LinkedIn profile
Hello from the UK
« on: September 22, 2013, 01:32:04 PM »
Hi, to the Cerebral Meltdown forum.

My name is Simon, I'm based just outside of London and have just started to get back to my first love - Engineering.

I've just completed a solar power energy diverter which is heavily based on the work done in the Open Energy Monitor forum, and in the process having re-learned much of my electronics which I studied at university, I'm now embarking on a Heliostat design to replace an anologue version I made a couple of years ago.

I'll admit, I'm currently struggling to learn C++, I left the Mullard/Philips research and applications labs in the mid 80's, just as it was becoming a solid alternative to C, but by then I was managing a team of engineers, so I didn't have to burn my fingers on it, and clearly there are lots of opportunities so to do.  After that I completely lost the 'hands on engineering' and moved more and more into management - Hey ho, that's life and money!!!!

I look forward to learning lots from this group, and maybe can add some value in the future, but for now I shall lurk in the background assimulating knolwledge.

All the best and regards
Simon

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 08:10:56 AM »
Hello Simon, and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have quite a background. I'd love to see anything you come up with (or have already come up with).

That OpenEnergyMonitor project does look interesting. It sounds a bit like an idea I had for the Open Sun Harvesting Project which involves collecting data on how much energy everyone is potentially gathering with their DIY machines and then putting together a simple graph of it. Ideally, the amount of energy gathered will just keep going up and up!

Learning to program is definitely difficult when you are first starting out, especially if you are teaching yourself. It's sounds like you won't have too much trouble picking it up though. :)

Have Fun!
Gabriel

Simon

• View Profile
    • My LinkedIn profile
Re: Hello from the UK
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:49:08 AM »
Thanks, and I've found the learning easier with a very clear target in mind, like a Heliostat, or PV router. The Open Energy Forum, has as you say a stong data collection history and monitoring background, and also uses Atmel devices, and Arduinos, but the section I've spent most time in, is the PV Router section, the latest version of which works pretty well.

http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/1912

Look forward to "lurking", and hopefully in time contributing.

Regards SImon