Author Topic: Encoders with common geared motors?  (Read 966 times)

tradewinds

• View Profile
Encoders with common geared motors?
« on: December 07, 2013, 11:48:57 PM »
Edit to add - I'm going to withdraw the below question for myself but leave it for perhaps GP. After doing some basic tests on my largest slewing drive, I found it takes about 672 oz. in. to rotate the input shaft. So there are several moderately priced steppers available to rotate that slewing drive. Although to play it safe and not stress the motor, I'll step up to the 5 amp motors/1205 oz. (Nema 34).

This original question is no longer applicable for myself- 
Is your program compatible with standard motors (with basic switching controllers) and the use of rotary encoders? If so, will an absolute rotary encoder be compatible or should it be an incremental rotary encoder?
The reason I ask is because I'm trying to save a few dollars here and avoid spending over $1500 on a single stepper motor alone as my system is using 2 slewing drives and one of them has a 3/4" keyed shaft input, the other is a 12mm keyed shaft input. Standard geared motors aren't so bad price wise (geared 3 rpm 24dc motor 3/4" output shaft - $150)  in that torque range if I can incorporate a couple encoders in the frames axis points and avoid the pricey servo/stepping motors and their controllers.
If it were a smaller system, the stepper/servos and controller would be in a reasonable range.
My slewing drives are composed of a 61:1 horizontal mount (vertical axis/east-west) and a 62:1 vertical mount with Bilateral exit flanges (horizontal axis/elevation).
Here's the Vertical axis slewing drive : http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TGB-TGE-Slewing-Drive-Slew-Ring-Bearing-Gear-Turn-Table-PV-Solar-Tracking-/190911995274

This is the Horizontal Axis slewing drive : http://www.acosolar.com/solar-tracker/h-fang/h-fang-precise-slewing-drive-pve3
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:55:08 AM by tradewinds »

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Encoders with common geared motors?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »
The only type of motor that the program supports right now is stepper motors. I have it set up so that it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to add your own code for using whatever types of motors you'd like without affecting the rest of the program though.

If you (or anyone really) have code that is able to move motors a certain number of revolutions (or fractions of a revolution) based on input from the program, then it should be more or less just plug and play.

Of course, if you want things like acceleration (and probably some other things that I haven't though of) then it would likely be more complicated.