Author Topic: Trying to install the Ubuntu 9.04 and Live-CD  (Read 2922 times)

gocnc

• View Profile
Trying to install the Ubuntu 9.04 and Live-CD
« on: October 01, 2009, 07:35:01 PM »
I have Live-CD
and
Ubuntu 9.04
on this cheap computer.

http://cerebralmeltdown.com/forum/index.php?topic=40.0
I try to install the Ubuntu 9.04
and the live cd the computer says there isnt enough memory
There is all kinds of garbage on that old computer I removed many program but there is msn gaming,netmeeting ,media player
When I try to remove these programs the windows program will not let me
How can I remove these so I will have room

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to install the Ubuntu 9.04 and Live-CD
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »
Do you mean Ubuntu 8.04? That's what comes with the live CD.

Basically, the live CD is the linux operating system with Emc2 already installed on it. The live cd isn't like what you are probably used to. When you boot from the CD, what it ultimately wants to do is delete absolutely everything on your computer, including Windows, and install the Ubuntu operating system in its place.

I haven't tried it myself, but someone gave me this link a while back which might help you install Ubuntu while leaving Windows intact. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide I have no idea how it works exactly, so you will need to read the instructions there to make certain that it will do what you want.

travis77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:53:37 PM »
How much system memory does your computer have? It may not meet the minimum system requirements for the hardware required by Ubuntu.

From Ubuntu's website:

"System requirements:

Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit PC and Intel-based Mac architectures. At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the alternate install CD (384MB of RAM is required to use the live CD based installer). Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:57:57 PM by travis77 »

gocnc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 06:46:36 PM »
Hi Folks
This cheap old computer has 4 GB of space because of the programs I cant uninstall I dont have enough space to run the live cd
I am confused I dont want to change anything with my other computers and this old computer doesnt have much space so I have to get a new compter
Any suggestions

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 05:24:15 AM »
You could try using Turbo CNC as your machine controller instead of EMC2. http://www.dakeng.com/turbocnc.html
It's free to download and use. The 60$ registration fee is just if you want the source code and technical support.

It runs in dos, and the system requirements are pretty minimal. I've never used it before, but I've seen other people have success with it.

It does actually have lot of features, so don't let the fact that it looks old fool you.

gocnc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 05:56:28 AM »
Hi Gabriel
Thanks for your help and the link
I will probably use that program because I would like to make a few of these cnc machines but as for this cheap computer it would be nice if I could put it to use for making simple designs and experimenting things.
I thought about installing the older version of emc2 and ubuntu
That way I will need less memory.