Author Topic: DIY Segway Anyone?  (Read 3475 times)

travis77

• View Profile
DIY Segway Anyone?
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »
http://diysegway.blogspot.com/

Pretty sweet.. If you could get the batteries and motors for fairly cheap, this would be a simple build. I think it uses an arduino, accelerometer and gyroscope and the programming sounds simple enough.

gocnc

• View Profile
Re: DIY Segway Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 08:22:07 AM »
Hi travis77
I guess you can make this for yourself but you cant sell it because the person that made it must have a patent

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 06:13:28 PM »
It was actually fairly recently that I watched a talk about the inventor of the segway, Dean Kamen, explaining the reasoning behind it.

Here is the vid.
Dean Kamen: Rolling along, helping students and the third world

It's pretty cool that someone built a diy version. I think I've actually seen a few others around. I believe that there was one that had bigger tires attached to it and was meant for traveling across more rugged terrain. I don't have the link though.

They look like they are a lot of fun to ride.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:15:13 PM by Gabriel »

travis77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 05:07:47 PM »
Ya Dean Kamen is an interesting person. I just read a big article about him in my Popular Science magazine. My friend gave me a bunch of his old issues and I've been reading through them. I bet it would be a fun job to work for him. Probably really intense with him running it.

Jon

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 03:10:42 AM »
I'm not sure if they though of this, but if the vehicle looses power or some bump/mishap, perhaps a small unpowered "third wheel" or two in front and back might be good for safety.  I'm not sure, maby there are
mechanisms that prevent forward and backward tip in such instances, but I don't see any visible at least.