Author Topic: Maximum number of machines that will fit in the Arduino EEPROM  (Read 775 times)

alobo

• View Profile
Maximum number of machines that will fit in the Arduino EEPROM
« on: October 07, 2014, 02:19:53 AM »
Hi Gabriel,
I'm researching larger arrays, so my question is: using your program, is 16 machines the actual maximum? Or is there space for more in the EEPROM?
Yes, I know it would become infeasible since they update one at a time .. this is just for my personal curiosity, really. Presumably if the Uno has 1kB of EEPROM and can handle 16, the Mega (with 4kB) can control 4 times as many?

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum number of machines that will fit in the Arduino EEPROM
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 05:46:13 AM »
Hi alobo,

I'm not exactly sure since it's been awhile since I've worked on it. The EEPROM in particular is used to save the heliostat target angles, and each heliostat can have multiple sets of angles. As it is now, 16 machines for the Uno and 64 for the Mega would probably be about right for the EEPROM. Modifications would have to be made to the program though to get more than 16 machines to work in either case.

I've actually designed another circuit board that will increase the number of machine outputs on the shield even more. I haven't updated the program yet, but I think I should be able to make it control up to 128 machines without too much trouble. Of course, there is the time it takes to update each machine limit, but I might be able to work around that some too.

alobo

• View Profile
Re: Maximum number of machines that will fit in the Arduino EEPROM
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up, Gabriel.

Looking forward to future program updates.