Author Topic: Linear Fresnel Reflector - tracking project of Open Source Ecology France  (Read 1234 times)

ansenk

• View Profile
Hello Gabriel,
Can your heliostat code and electronics be used to move the linear fresnel reflector mirrors to point to the target collector.  I am working for this project : http://www.osefrance.fr/?page_id=13 which is a N/S oriented solar concentrator
and currently preparing a small scale printable model where i can test the tracking system.

if it can be used should I set
machineSetting[1] =3 (to make the machine act as a single axis sun tracker) or rather 2?
machineSetting[3] =0 (to stop the altitude rotation )
and the target position relative to the mirror in the targetcontrol.ino ? (relative to what mirror? or maybe 1 arduino per mirror?)

if I should adapt it, would be nice to have some clue

thanks !

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Ansenk,

I'm sure the program could be adapted, but it would require a bit of added code to make it work. I don't think it would require a lot of code, but it would take a bit of thinking to figure out the geometry.

I'm not especially familiar with this type of tracker, but I would suspect that the sun's hour angle would be what you need to help determine the direction of the mirrors. It might be as simple as dividing the hour angle of the sun by two, but I will have to experiment to be sure. The hour angle, incidentally, is used the determine the altitude and azimuth of the sun, so it is already calculated in the program. I will have to think about how the mirrors will connect together. It would be nice if you only need to do one motor.

I am working to update the Sun Harvester Program now and hope to be able to add support for other types of trackers. I'm trying to put together a simulator so that I can test the program on different types of machines without actually having to build them. It might take me a couple of weeks, but I'll try to make your type of tracker one of the first.

What do you mean by printable? Is is something that's made with a 3D printer? If you can get a test model together easily enough, then we might try the code on yours first.