Author Topic: Telescope star tracking?  (Read 569 times)

alobo

• View Profile
Telescope star tracking?
« on: May 28, 2015, 02:53:52 AM »
I have a friend who's into a bit of amateur astronomy. I was thinking I'd point him to this program since it is essentially a big ol' star tracker already.
Could it be made to take input from something like Stellarium in order to track the night sky with a telescope? Or would it be better to modify the "SunCalculation" code to track another stellar object? When you reply here I'll point him to this thread so he gets the idea of what would be needed.

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Telescope star tracking?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:48:42 PM »
Hi alobo,

I have had people suggest this same sort of idea before, but nobody has actually tried it yet. I think that a lot of the code could be used, but I'm not sure what would need to change to track the stars instead of the sun.
If you have the altitude and azimuth position of the star, then you wouldn't really have to change much of anything. The thing is that telescopes aren't necessarily set up to use altitude and azimuth type motion. I'm not sure that it would matter that much though as far as modifying the program is concerned though.

If the Stellarium program is capable of sending serial commands that it might actually be really easy to make it work just by putting the program in manual control mode and sending the star's altitude and azimuth position via serial.

It's just a thought, but I think it could be done on the Arduino program side of things. I have no idea what might be required of the Stellarium program, but it seems like it should be capable of the task.