Author Topic: Oh, deployable things.  (Read 645 times)

Paul L

• View Profile
Oh, deployable things.
« on: January 12, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »
Hi All,

I've had this idea bouncing in my head for awhile and I feel like it needs to be let out so others can have their say about it.  Let's collaborate!!!  Bring on the ideas!!  I could describe it much more eloquently, but I just want it out for now so sorry for the uglyness that is about to follow.  So here we go: Wouldn't it be cool if it was possible to have heliostats non stationary - mobile in other words?  Imagine, going anywhere you want, pushing a button and then having a heliostat roll on out, find a sunny spot for itself and then self-orient to your set target?  If it gets shaded, it would self move to a new and sunny location.  That's what I've been thinking, but on a grander scale, in a backyard.  Imagine a swarm of micro-helostats, all with sensors for self leveling, orienting and sun seeking.  It really wouldn't be too hard to do I think.  Deployable mirrors could be added, using mylar epoxied to snap band trusses so it could be rolled away in bad weather.  Each heliostat would communicate with each other via cheap nRF24L01 boards.  All use cheap, but incredibly strong 28byj-48 steppers and cheap 3 DOF sensors.  Have them all solar powered.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattt?  Am I crazy here?  Now, that'd be cool!

Paul

I think it'd be great anyway, to have a dozen of these things running around my yard.         

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, deployable things.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:49:04 AM »
Yeah it definitely wouldn't be easy, but it probably would be possible. I'm actually planning on building a mobile stand for my heliostats today. That way I can roll them around from one place to another in the yard. I hope to have everything solar powered. We'll see how it goes.

alobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 02:43:03 AM »
That's a pretty cool idea, Paul! It meshes with my thread about the Digilent ChipKIT, an Arduino-compatible PIC board which my friend showed me - much better memory and processing speed so it would lend itself well to this automation idea.

alobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:22:07 AM »
Hey Paul, if you're keeping track of this thread at all, take a look at my recent thread about the ESP8266 WiFi module. You may find it interesting.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:42:19 AM by alobo »