Author Topic: Can we learn from this machine based Arduino app?  (Read 68 times)

Silverbrewer

• View Profile
Can we learn from this machine based Arduino app?
« on: January 16, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
I am new here, an Arduino novice, and was surprised at how god damn fiddly downloading the program was!!

My comparison is with the Arduino based project I am about to describe which involves downloading a free app, connecting the bits, calibrating the whole shebang and hey presto.
While I assume that making an app to run an Arduino project is not for the feint hearted, the cerebralmeltdown mantra is that you are looking for the learning experiance, so take a look at it, as the app is a very good looking interface, and a similar sort of thing could do wonders for the Sun harvester Project.
Both you and Yuriy are in the States, so perhaps as sole designers of two really good projects, a start would be to do a shield trade!!!   
Also, it is a no brainer for anyone with a Taig lathe :0)

So here goes...

The last Arduino based project I made was for controlling a digital read out (DRO) for a lathe or mill.
It will need one of you brainiacs to fathom how it has made Arduino control so easy, but in a nutshell, it is a free Android only app that bluetooths to anarduino with a suitable shield, that is connected to digital measuring slides on your lathe or mill, and gives you fantastic control options with no backlash. It is called "TouchDRO" and is easily found on YouTube or wherever.

I was so impressed with the one I fitted to my lathe thatI straight away made one for my mill.

I am lucky enough to have a Boxford A.U.D. screwcuting lathe and an Elliott Junior Omnimil, and I can control each machine from the one tablet. The lathe has readouts on the bed and cross slide, and the mill has readouts on the Quill, bed, saddle and knee, and it has transformed beyond measure how easy it is to use the machines, making PCD hole arrays, converting from Metric to Imperial measurements etc a doddle. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:45:35 PM by Silverbrewer »

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can we learn from this machine based Arduino app?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 02:37:11 PM »
It has been on my list to something similar with an actual computer interface. It's just finding the time to do it that is the hard part. There is honestly a lot that I want to overhaul to get things up to date with the times. It may have only been about 5 yrs since the program was more or less finished, but electronics and programming libraries change quickly.

There is actually someone working on something similar to what you mentioned, but it isn't quite ready for release yet. I am actually testing it out on my end, but I haven't gotten a hold of it yet. Hopefully I will be able to say more relatively soon.