Author Topic: G'Day fellow enthuisiests  (Read 687 times)

ben

• View Profile
G'Day fellow enthuisiests
« on: September 01, 2015, 02:35:13 AM »
Hi all,

What a great site, well done to all that have contributed so far!

I recently stumbled upon this site while late-night crawling on the web looking for ideas to meet my needs. I now know what I "heliostat" is, and it is exactly what I want to build.

It gets pretty cold here in Australia during the day, some days max between 10-15 celcuis (50-60 F). I know its colder in other parts of the world, but we like it warm down here!

Going outside on a cold day, I look for a sunny spot to stand. Even a little bit of warmth from the sun is welcomed.
My bedroom gets cold, infact all rooms shaded by the sun are cold and dark.

I want to warm and brighten the rooms up by reflecting the sun inside the house.

I look forward to discussing my ideas, design and progress with you.

Ben.

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: G'Day fellow enthuisiests
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 05:34:36 AM »
Hi Ben and welcome to the forums!

It sounds like a heliostat would work well for you in this case. It will definitely be cool to see what you come up with. Did you already have an idea for the design?

Gabriel

ben

• View Profile
Re: G'Day fellow enthuisiests
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 08:04:25 AM »
Hi Gabriel,

Yeah, I have a good idea of what I want to build. I have been designing in my head for years, but since I found this forum I have put some ideas onto paper, and started looking into what hardware is available.

I have started a thread now detailing my preliminary design, its topic 858 on this forum.
Later I will post my detailed design.

It has been interesting to see what others have come up with.
I have said both
- "now thats a pretty good idea...", and
- "crikey, whats that???".
both in an aussie accent ofcourse.

Seriously though, doing this kind of project has great meaning to me. I love building things with wood, like electronics and programming, and love the warmth of the sun in winter. So its a good combination of things.
Time for me is a factor, I say I have lots of time now in my life, but the wife says otherwise.
I say that if I dont do it now, i probably never will.

This project is also a stepping stone for me to get back into electronics.
It is also a gateway for entering the computer-controlled-precision-alignment field.
With 3D printers now the new thing on the block, who knows where this project will take me?

Ben.