Below is my design for the base of the heliostat. This performs Azimuth movement.
Basically two pieces of wood, seperated by rollers.
- the RoundMountBoard and SquareBaseBoard are laminated smooth both sides, 12mm thick,
- the lowerPulley is made from the same benchtop, to be made perfectly circular.
- support rollers and lasySusan support the weight.
- 6x or 8x support rollers, placed furtherest distance from center of rotation,
- lasy suzan supporting weight at the center
A Lasy Susan is basically two steel rings, seperated by ball or roller bearings.
Pictures are shown below.
These are either sourced from a tabletop lazysusan, or swivel stools.
The final height of the base should only be 50mm or so.
Although I could attain 360 degree rotation, I will probably fix (in two places) a length of belt to the lower pulley, and have a stepper motor and gear assembly located on the square base board.