Poll

How far is your favorite hardware store?

Walking distance
2 (40%)
1 mile
1 (20%)
< 5 miles?
2 (40%)
> 10 miles?
0 (0%)
If you need option 5, its too far
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Do the local hardware stores know you by first name?  (Read 2046 times)

travis77

• View Profile
Do the local hardware stores know you by first name?
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:44:16 PM »
Just curious how close or how often you find youself going to the store. I wish mine were closer. I can ride my bicycle to the Ace Hardware or Radio Shack, but if I need to go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Orchard I have to drive.

And I love the new Fry's Electronics, its HUGE. Way cheaper than Radio Shack and larger selection. Only downside is that it is 20 miles away on the freeway... Only go there for special occasions.

While building this CNC project, I find myself always having to go out and get a part or cable or connector... This poll is me venting my frustration i guess.

Davetech

• View Profile
    • Davetech's Projects
Re: Do the local hardware stores know you by first name?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:49:19 AM »
 "Do the local hardware stores know you by first name?"

Well, they used to.  When I moved here back in 1968, this was a small rural town, ~35 miles south of Atlanta. Mostly farming, raising hay and a few cows. Cars on the road were few enough that you usually gave them a wave whether you knew them or not.  My parents had a ranch where we raised Appaloosa show horses. The local hardware store was also the feed store so they saw a lot of me. I had an open account and I could just tell them "charge it to my account", no ID needed.

Since then, mainly due to "white flight" the little friendly town has grown up and is indistinguishable from any other Atlanta suburb, complete with crime and "damn yankees". The wave has turned into a one-finger salute in the daily traffic jam around the Town Square. Used to be 5 police cars to cover the entire county and it was no secret that the Sheriff was a moonshiner... now you can't turn around without tripping over one, and these new cops look at this old long haired fart with a suspicious eye every time they see me.

The old feed/hardware store has gotten run out of business by the now-local Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart. Nobody farms or raises cows... too busy building subdivisions... or they were until the road apples hit the fan last year. Looks like the local tractor dealer is about to throw in the towel too. 

So it just ain't what it used to be and I'd love to sell my property and move somewhere out west... maybe Colorado... to a small town where people are still civil and not over-stressed city dwellers.  So there's my Rant for the day... lol