Author Topic: Drift in reflection  (Read 608 times)

ecaits

• View Profile
Drift in reflection
« on: September 22, 2015, 02:55:20 AM »
In our heliostat, initially, we are using 6 nos. of heliostat and our target is upto 32 number.
We have observed that the reflection is drifting a lot after 2-3 hours.
We are using arduino uno board and vigor vs-2 servo along with light weighted material.
We have put our target at 6ft length and 6ft height.
We are using mirror of 15x15 cm and the target area is 20x20cm.

We want to remove the drift and improve the accuracy of reflection.

Regards,
Nirav

Gabriel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Drift in reflection
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »
Hi Nirav,

I'm not sure I have enough information to be much help. Are you using the program I wrote or are you using your own? Knowing that will help me start answering your question.

Thanks!
Gabriel

ben

• View Profile
Re: Drift in reflection
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 03:06:06 AM »
Hi Nirav,

Do you have confidence in being able to tell your heliostat to move to a certain position, and know with confidence that the heliostat did infact move to the desired position?

The test I would perform is as follows:
If you position a laser pointer so that it points onto the center of the heliostat mirror, and the reflected beam comes straight back into the laser pointer, we call this position (0,0). Leave the laser pointer in this fixed position.
Now, tell your heliostat to move, say, 10 degrees, in either azimuth or elevation.
You should expect the reflected laser beam to have moved double this angle, namely 20 degrees.
Using trigonometry, you should be able to confirm if your mirror is positioning itself correctly.

Then, move nirror to 45 degrees, and see of laser reflects at 90 degrees.
Do this in both the positive and negative directions, and in both the azimuth and elevation axis.

Thats what I think is important to do first.
Regards,
Ben,