Author Topic: Stepper motor rotary to linear motion.. HOW?  (Read 147 times)

emimina

• View Profile
Stepper motor rotary to linear motion.. HOW?
« on: February 26, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »
Hi folks
i have been wanting to do this heliostat since a while, even found couple of providers for it (all under manufacturing now) but nothing beats the DIY prices..
in general i have an understanding now on the challanges on the current heliostat, and i have an idea for the design, however i failed to understand how the motors sold on the website store will turn circular motion to linear for the frame to move.
i understand on the older videos that gabriel used actuator with threaded rod as the shaft, so that if the motor moves, it actualy rotate the threaded rod , however the ones i see now on the website have regular shaft..
Does that mean that the new design only relies on the gears to transfer the shaft motion to frame circular motion? or am i getting something wrong?

Also did anyone try to implement the project all from the components on the store? if yes? what was the physical diagram for the heliostat?

Paul L

• View Profile
Re: Stepper motor rotary to linear motion.. HOW?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »
You're right emimina, the newer versions are using worm gears.

They are definitely the better way to go (easier to set up, better range or motion).  But of course, they cost more.